An Tran • April 17, 2020personal
Last year I relaunched my blog as I wanted to start writing more technical articles to share my experiences as an iOS software engineer. I have had so many topics in my head but I didn't have time to finish any meaningful articles in the whole year.
There were a lot of reasons why my plan didn't work out:
- Writing is not easy, especially for technical articles. You might be able to write code to fulfill some technical requirements easily, but it is really hard to write an easy-to-understand explanation to broader audiences with different technical backgrounds how the code works.
- Short, trivial blog posts are easy to write. But for Meaningful, high impact and relevant articles, I need time and concentration to experiment, implement and write careful and easy to understand texts.
- I have no direction where I want my blog goes to. Because I focus on Swift ecosystem, I wanted to write a lot about Swift related content. But I also want to use my blog as a documentation tool for all the things that I've learned. I also want to use the blog as marketing to for my plan, but never appearing apps 😆.
- I am not good at writing.
- I am not patient enough to keep writing often.
- But all in all: I was lazy. I couldn't push myself enough to drive my passion. A part of the reason is that I have been very busy with my job as a Lead iOS Engineer, another part of the reason is that I underestimated how time-consuming it is to manage 2 toddlers (1 year old and 2 years old) at home. Lastly, I couldn't abandon some of my hobbies to invest time in writing.
At the end of the last year 2019, I have made a big decision since I need some new motivations for both my professional and private life. I quit my job and decided to move from Germany to Singapore. This relocation was mostly because I want to move near to the rest of my family in Vietnam. In addition to that, I and my wife are planning a digital nomad life for our family.
But then Covid-19 pandemic happens. Singapore has been locked down since the middle of March and I can't start my job on time in Singapore since I am not allowed to enter the country. For the positive side of the story, as a jobless person, I now have more time to spend with my family and the kids are happy about that 😄.
This post marks the first day that I've started a new chapter of my life, hopefully with more exciting adventures ahead and with long-lasting positive changes :)
I have also changed my online identity in all social networks and moved my blog to a new domain. From now, I'll use this https://antran.app domain as my main website.
I am very excited about this new beginning and hopefully, I can share more about my journey ahead.
But in the meantime, #StayHome and #BeSafe #CoronaTime